Thursday, March 6, 2008

What is with RLS...its not even real, so why do they advertise like it is??



Consumer reports did an article on restless leg syndrome, and they showed the truth about RLS. Only 3% of Americans actually have it! The "sensation" that people feel before they go to bed could be so subtle they might wonder if they actually have it. I know sometimes when I go to bed my legs are itchy, and I don’t think I need to be medicated for it. They give the title of the syndrome initials so it sounds more official. You can say Restless leg syndrome, or you can say RLS. She mentions in the commercial that her doctor recommended it. Of course a doctor would recommend it for a commercial, especially since it is almost sixty dollars a month to get. But according to the consumer report there are cheaper options to consider, but they don’t tell you that in the commercial. They say that it may have an effect on your driving, but they show a picture of the woman doing a crossword in a chair. They say the side effects with a soothing woman’s voice to make it sound like it okay. The side effects of the drugs are worse than the symptoms: dizziness, tiredness, gambling urges, and vomiting. They leave so many facts out, and glorify Requip, so that people are prone to believe it’s a real thing, and that they need it!

2 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

My husband is a physician and treats patients with RLS (with drugs other than Requip.)

Did you know that 3% of people is 9million individuals? That is the same number as those who have Parkinson's Disease.

I wonder why Mayo Clinic (one of the premier medical institutions in the world) has a whole page on RLS:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/restless-legs-syndrome/DS00191

it RLS doesn't even exist?

webmasterbill2 said...

I've got RLS (diagnosed). It goes well beyond itchy/crawly feelings in the legs....rather it leads to convulsive like fits involving my legs and whole torso on some nights. Talk about sleep disruption! I am on a muscle relaxant which helps, and I have to avoid caffeine and moderate my sugar intake. I'm still trying to figure out my other triggers.

RLS is pretty real, and dealing with it's capricious nature and it's impact on life is very frustrating. Sigh....