Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Living in Perfect Harmony



March 12, 2008

By Rachel Janssen

Port Edwards

Whenever I wanted to hear new music, I looked to my cousins for the new “thing” of the time. My family only listened to Christian music, so it was hard to find some faster more upbeat music, when all theses hymns, or slow worship songs would be played regularly on the radio. It’s not like that now of course, but back in the 90’s it was what we called the “grandpa station.” Being in a musical family, IT was ingrained in our minds that we are supposed to like bands who have four part harmonies, and rally unique beats, because that where its at!

My older cousins, who were about six years older than me, always brought home new and exciting music, and when I would go over to visit them, they would bring out their latest discovery. The “new thing” happened to be a boy band called Plus One. The band had just come out with their first CD called “the Promise.” They were so cool. I remember listening to them for the first time, and wondering how guys could sing like that because the guys in my elementary choir class sure couldn’t. The music they sang was from the heart, with a pop twist. All of the songs make you feel all warm inside; they always gave me the goosebumps. The harmonies were incredible! They could all sing together, and sound great!

Plus One was one of the Christian versions of N’sync and Backstreet Boys, but they all sang from experiences they’ve had, and they were so honest. Who knew you could get two different albums with the same sound, but two totally different messages. My family finally purchased this amazing CD, and we listened to it until we burnt a hole through it. We never got tired of it. All the songs tell you a different story, and they sing it as if it was theirs, and that is could be yours.

Since they are a Christian band, they make Jesus seem like a nice guy who loves us, rather than a man sitting in the clouds waiting for us to mess up so he can zap us with his lighting rod of fire! When you listen to that CD, it may make you feel sad r happy depending on your mood. I’ve listed to a song once, and cried, and then laughed the second time you never know how it will make you react. If I’ve had a rough day they have a song “Calling Down an Angel” and it tells about how Jesus will send an angel down to comfort us. It sounds like it would be this really annoying slow hymn, but they are upbeat, and encouraging.

When I got older, their music changed. They came out with their second CD: Exodus. As soon as Ii got into my hands I memorized every ooh, and ahh, and every lyric until I could sing the whole CD without it even playing in the background. It was the highlight of my life for about two years. This band was all I listened to. My older sister won a DVD of the making of Exodus, and we watched it so many times that when I listen to the music, I can tell where they are singing in the song compared to the recording they did on the DVD. Then I realized something, I was a Plus One fanatic. I couldn’t get enough. They were like a perfect harmonized singing group, who loved Jesus, and that made you want to love Jesus, too!

I have never listened to their music, and felt worse than I did before I started listening to it. They either take me in a sad or upset mood and change it to a happy or upbeat mood, or they take my upbeat mood to the next level. So, whether I am encouraged, or rocking out, they are the perfect band to listen to.

0 comments: